Light for the Children Foundation
- Please list links to your Website and Social Media Platforms here:
- Describe in detail what your Organisation does:
Light for the Children is a timely intervention in the crisis of orphans and vulnerable children in Namibia. The classification of Namibia as a “middle income country” hides the fact that there are large communities in the country where an unemployment rate of up to 90%, high prevalence of HIV/Aids and TB and marginalization of parts of the population are leading to this crisis.
Light for the Children therefore engages itself in some communities in the Eastern part of Namibia, where we experience the need as being the highest.
Our modus operandi is to develop and implement a program which is:
– locally owned but networking wider
– organically growing
– using the minimum of resources for administration, yet being effective
– comprehensive / holistic
– embracing the needs of family, health, early childhood development, skills training, outreaches, advocacy, study help, involvement of street children and income generating activities.
– we’re already doing all of above and still expanding.
– Light for the Children Foundation is registered as a Namibian Welfare Organization, number 427.
- How long has your Organisation been operational?
- In your opinion, what has been the most challenging aspect of running your Organisation?
The overwhelming need, coupled with scarcity of local resources.
- Describe your Nonprofit Journey in three words:
Growth in joy.
- Do you collaborate with other Causes? If yes, would you like to mention them?
Steps for Children Trust
United Child Care Association
Council of Churches in Namibia
Namibia Life Change Centres Foundation
Namibia Networks of AIDS Service Organisations (NANASO)
- If you had one Organisation wish, what would it be?
To be able to fulfill our vision while being resourceful and sustainable.
- In your opinion, which skills do Nonprofits in your Country lack?
Professional management skills and capacity.
- Looking back at your Cause Journey, what advice would you give a newbie Organisation?
To be content to start small, growing rather in depth and quality, and branch out as the opportunity arises.
- If you could change one thing about the Nonprofit Landscape, what would it be?
A longer term way of thinking and involvement by supporting organizations, respect for the moral and intellectual ownership of local initiatives, expectations in line with the dreams of these people and the rhythms of their lives. Simpler systems of application and report which make it easier to administer programs in an economic way, with local expertise.
- Which Cause achievement are you most proud of? Feel free to elaborate on why and include any links:
The loyalty of a staff component, which is largely the result of work done at an earlier point in time. In spite of hardships, the staff function as support group, besides running a daily, comprehensive program, in which talents and abilities are combined into one singe organism.
- Last question, if your friends had to describe your Organisation in three words, which would they use?
A Second Home