Ann Harding Cheshire Home
- Describe in detail what your Organisation does:
A residential care facility for adults who have a physical disability.
- How long has your Organisation been operational?
- In your opinion, what has been the most challenging aspect of running your Organisation?
Raising funds for operational expenses. We are a service based organisation and as such we are very reliant on caregiver and nursing staff. We find that Corporates and organisations are reluctant to fund these costs.
- Describe your Nonprofit Journey in three words:
Epic life changing
- Do you collaborate with other Causes? If yes, would you like to mention them?
We are part of Cheshire Homes South Africa, which has 17 Cheshire Homes throughout the Country, and 3 in Gauteng. Although we all operate autonomously, we do collaborate from time to time with our sister homes in Soweto and Daveyton.
- If you had one Organisation wish, what would it be?
A sustainable source of funding to alleviate monthly stress related to paying the bills.
- In your opinion, which skills do Nonprofits in your Country lack?
Fundraising – I think many NGO’s try to get their Board members or other staff to do this task, when in fact it should have a dedicated trained person doing it.
- Looking back at your Cause Journey, what advice would you give a newbie Organisation?
For somebody wanting to start a non-profit, I would advise they do a lot of research and if there are already non-profits operating in that sphere, I would advise pooling your resources and rather strengthening the organisations that already exist.
- If you could change one thing about the Nonprofit Landscape, what would it be?
The perception that Non-profit organisations should be self sustainable – as much as this would be amazing, I think very few NGO’s have the capacity to do this.
- Which Cause achievement are you most proud of? Feel free to elaborate on why and include any links:
I am proud to be working for a fantastic organisation who prides itself on the high standard of care and the fact that our Residents are happy and healthy.
- Last question, if your friends had to describe your Organisation in three words, which would they use?
Happy relaxed home