- Please list links to your Website and Social Media Platforms here:
- Describe in detail what your Organisation does:
Great Girls is a charity that bridges the gap between high school and employment for underprivileged girls in Grade 11 and 12. Our goal is to ensure girls leave high school equipped with the skills and opportunities to find full-time, meaningful employment or pursue further studies.
Through workshops and mentoring, Great Girls coaches participants free of charge on elements ranging from interview technique and CV writing, financial planning and labour law to workplace communication, public speaking and workplace do’s and don’ts.
We equip girls to carve out their own successful path, regardless of their background!
- How long has your Organisation been operational?
- In your opinion, what has been the most challenging aspect of running your Organisation?
Funding. Very seldom we also have challenges with reliable long term volunteers – but this is very seldom.
- Describe your Nonprofit Journey in three words:
We started strong and hit quite a few speedbumps along the way. We grew from strength to strength over the past 4 years and now we are looking to expand the project to other areas, feeling we have near mastered the current programme in its present location.
- Do you collaborate with other Causes? If yes, would you like to mention them?
Chic Mama’s Do Care
New World Foundation
- If you had one Organisation wish, what would it be?
Wish 1: A LARGE cash donation we could invest and then rely on the income of – lessening the ongoing fundraising burden
Wish 2: A consistent donation / income stream that would alleviate the stress of ad hoc / unreliable donations.
- In your opinion, which skills do Nonprofits in your Country lack?
Corporate Governance and transparent reporting
Ineffective management: Funds being used on Administrative functions and not on beneficiaries
- Looking back at your Cause Journey, what advice would you give a newbie Organisation?
People are more willing to give of their time and donations in kind (food, consumables, assets) than they are to give cash. They want to feel that their contribution is meaningful and cash is difficult to demonstrate that from their side.
- If you could change one thing about the Nonprofit Landscape, what would it be?
The idea around ‘saviours’ and ‘victims’ – society at large sees the beneficiaries of charity work as somehow lesser people and in need of rescuing. This is not the case.
- Which Cause achievement are you most proud of? Feel free to elaborate on why and include any links: *
A success rate above 75%. Meaning that all beneficiaries of the programme who graduated and stayed the course are now in gainful employment or studying further and making successes of their lives.
- Last question, if your friends had to describe your Organisation in three words, which would they use? *
Inspiring, Hard Work and Successful