• Tell us about the History of your Organisation
The HAS FOUNDATION (#HAS) was established in early 2015. I used to travel a lot doing field promotions for mobile network companies in the informal settlements around the country. So, every time I would see children walking to school with torn or no school shoes and sometimes going through rubbish bins after school looking for something to eat. I would then use my own money to buy them food and also organise small food parcels and drop them off at their homes on my next field promotion in their area. I’ve also been in point in my life where I lost money, cars, business deals, got retrenched and my house almost got repossessed by the bank and could not afford to pay school fees for my son or buy him school shoes, let alone afford a loaf of bread. So, I know how it feels to have nothing and no support at all. This is something that is very close my heart.
• Which three words best describe your Organisation?
• Describe what a typical work day looks like for you at your Organisation?
– Send proposal e-mails to potential sponsors.
– Assist Admin with responses to ‘REQUEST FOR HELP’ e-mails.
– Pick up and drop off donations.
– Attend meetings with potential sponsors.
– Meetings with Graphic designers.
– #HAS merchandise sales and brand awareness.
– Visit different orphanages and old age homes.
• What is the one thing you wish members of the general public knew about your Organisation?
Their donations make every #HAS event a success. We depend on their support and love for our organisation as we are self-funded.
• Describe the saddest moment you’ve experienced while at work in your Organisation
It was in 2015 when we hosted our 1st Bread and Soup event in Newtown, Johannesburg. One middle-aged man broke down and cried when we gave him a loaf of bread and told us he hasn’t been staying on the streets for long and didn’t know where the next meal for his family (Wife and Daughter) was going to come from on that day.
We ended up giving him 4 loaves of bread and couple of soups packets.
• Apart from donating money, how can members of the general public assist your Organisation?
By donating any old but wearable clothes, shoes and toys. We also accept toiletries, sanitary towels, disposable nappies, non-perishable food and household cleaning detergents.
• I’m sure you have had many happy times while at work in your Organisation, can you describe the happiest moment of all?
It was in 2015 when we adopted 2 girls from 2 high schools in Mamelodi.
1 is currently doing her 2nd year at University and the other is in Matric. We are still supporting them until today. Seeing them progressing in life and doing well in school makes me happy everyday.
• If you could say only one thing to the Community your Organisation serves, what would that be?
Let us all work together and build a chain of community members who love to help each other regardless of religion, gender, nationality or race.
Show you care by connecting directly with HAS FOUNDATION (#HAS):