Khulumani Support Group
- Please list links to your Website and Social Media Platforms here:
- Describe in detail what your Organisation does:
Khulumani works to restore the dignity and agency of people and communities that were damaged by gross human rights violations towards building peaceful, safe and inclusive communities across South Africa and in the region.
- How long has your Organisation been operational?
Khulumani was founded in 1995. It was officially registered in March 2000.
- In your opinion, what has been the most challenging aspect of running your Organisation?
Dealing with the major trauma and woundedness that continues to affect the lives of so many people towards transforming victims and survivors into active citizens.
- Describe your Nonprofit Journey in three words:
Challenging, empowering, transforming
- Do you collaborate with other Causes? If yes, would you like to mention them?
a) Advocacy for justice and restitution in many different campaigns (Unpaid Benefits Campaign, Advocacy Platform for Transitional Justice; Ending Enforced Involuntary Disappearances); b) Promoting open, transparent and responsive governance as those most affected by the lack of accountability in local municipalities (Right2Know, Open Government Partnership, Access Initiative, Civil Society Network on Access to Information); c) Advancing social reconciliation across the continuing divides in South Africa.
- If you had one Organisation wish, what would it be?
To build substantial partnerships to support and advance this work of healing a broken society and contributing to the transformation of lives that have survived oppression and exploitation.
- In your opinion, which skills do Nonprofits in your Country lack?
Skills for enabling improved resource mobilization; skills for transforming power relationships that hamper real development.
- Looking back at your Cause Journey, what advice would you give a newbie Organisation?
Do not ever give up. Your work counts.
- If you could change one thing about the Nonprofit Landscape, what would it be?
That local corporations and businesses would invest in the work of community-based organisations such as Khulumani Support Group towards supporting transformative change that will contribute to greater equity across the county.
- Which Cause achievement are you most proud of? Feel free to elaborate on why and include any links:
That Khulumani continues to build community skills for standing up and speaking out about the things that damage people and their capacity to work together for building safe communities where residents begin to live into their potential.
- Last question, if your friends had to describe your Organisation in three words, which would they use?
Inspiring, resilient, supportive