Board of Trustees x 5 members
Director (plus administrative assistance)
Club Leaders x 2 (2 centres – Grabouw and Somerset West; serving 3 schools – Grabouw High, Methodist Primary, Tereo Mission School)
Club Assistants x 3
Please list links to your Website and Social Media Platforms here:
Describe in detail what your Organisation does:
The SOS Africa Western Cape Trust is committed to providing educational sponsorship to children from disadvantaged backgrounds. Sponsorship covers the cost of school fees, transport, stationery and uniform, as well as the facilitation of after school clubs. These clubs are run at centres established at partnering schools where learning support is an added facility.
Our vision is to equip and support each child, in terms of his/her academic, emotional, social and spiritual growth, during the complete school cycle from Grade 1 through to Grade 12 (ages 6-18).
Our goals for these children are to:
• support them in reaching their full potential;
• encourage adaptive and positive behaviour;
• provide them with a safe space where they can confide, share and grow;
• teach them to take responsibility for their academic progress and their choices in life;
• open their eyes to the possibility of a different future.
To realise our Mission and Vision it is essential that we:
• ensure that our programmes embrace our holistic ideals;
• provide a personal approach where each child is treated as an individual and given appropriate attention;
• maintain strong lines of communication between each child (and the family), organisation and sponsor;
• pay respect to our sponsors by making effective use of donations coupled with wise and thoughtful spending.
How long has your Organisation been operational?
Since January 2013 – initially under a Charitable Trust (1105747) based in the UK; under our own Trust (IT001095/2016) since May 2016.
In your opinion, what has been the most challenging aspect of running your Organisation?
Finding ways to encourage the children to learn and grow using technology; there are very few resources in terms of modern technology available; the schools with whom we are currently partnering do not even have shareable internet.
Describe your Nonprofit Journey in three words:
Do you collaborate with other Causes? If yes, would you like to mention them?
Working on it!
If you had one Organisation wish, what would it be?
We want to open the eyes of all the children under our care to the possibility of a different future.
In your opinion, which skills do Nonprofits in your Country lack?
Looking back at your Cause Journey, what advice would you give a newbie Organisation?
Get your organisational and administrative structure in place, and fulfill all legal obligations and registrations as soon as possible.
If you could change one thing about the Nonprofit Landscape, what would it be?
Which Cause achievement are you most proud of? Feel free to elaborate on why and include any links:
– our ability to connect with the children individually as a result of keeping clubs small and intimate
– the gift of using the full school cycle enabling us to make meaningful and lasting change in a child’s life
– being open to a variety of methods to bring the best out of the children
Last question, if your friends had to describe your Organisation in three words, which would they use?