Tshepo ya Sechaba Organisation
- Please list links to your Website and Social Media Platforms here:
- Describe in detail what your Organisation does:
The Tshepo ya Sechaba Organisation (TSO) was formed as an outreach program for the aged. The name is Sotho, and means Hope of the Nation. By providing the necessary physical, emotional, mental, and social support, the Organisation aims to restore joy, dignity and fulfilment to the lives of the elderly, while continuing to raise awareness in communities about the ills that this marginalized group of society often face. Currently, TSO offers psychosocial support, engages in physical activities and aims to engage in other creative activities that will generate funds for the older persons.
- How long has your Organisation been operational?
Registered in 2015, officially launched in April 2017
- In your opinion, what has been the most challenging aspect of running your Organisation?
Securing funding for essentials such as transportation for the elderly to our area of operation
- Describe your Nonprofit Journey in three words:
Character building; Fulfilling; Inspiring
- Do you collaborate with other Causes? If yes, would you like to mention them?
Not yet but we definitely aim to, there is no limit to working together with others to achieve a shared goal and vision.
- If you had one Organisation wish, what would it be?
For us to grow beyond just our immediate community. There is great need throughout the country for the elderly to have access to the kind of programs and support that we offer. We would like to reach even into the rural communities where there are fewer amenities and fewer opportunities for the aged to lead active and fulfilling lives. As our name suggests, we aim to serve the entire nation.
- In your opinion, which skills do Nonprofits in your Country lack?
The ability to sustain themselves for extended periods without the heavy reliance on government subsidy and adhoc donations. It is getting increasingly difficult to secure sustained financial support and all NPOs need to start thinking creatively about operating with scarce resources.
- Looking back at your Cause Journey, what advice would you give a newbie Organisation?
Just start. Whatever the goal or the project, don’t wait until all the ducks are in a row because they seldom are. Once one foot hits the ground things begin to fall into place, so keep your eye on the prize and never stop moving forward.
- If you could change one thing about the Nonprofit Landscape, what would it be?
It would really benefit the NPO industry if they adopted some commercial principles. From administration to operations or financing, it is important to have a certain standard, which in turn makes the organisation more attractive to investors and donors.
- Which Cause achievement are you most proud of? Feel free to elaborate on why and include any links:
My greatest achievement is the team that I managed to bring on board. Each one brings a strength that is critical to the running of the organisation. We are all so different, yet there is a synergy that allows each one to bring the best of themselves to the table.
- Last question, if your friends had to describe your Organisation in three words, which would they use?
Innovative; All-inclusive; Pillar