USE-IT has been established as a non-profit organisation to research and develop waste beneficiation technologies with the aim of diverting waste from landfill and creating jobs in the green economy. Our primary funding and mandate is in the eThekwini area in association with the Economic Development Unit of the Municipality.
USE-IT is a special purpose vehicle, designed to act as a cluster for the waste materials recovery industry in eThekwini Municipality. In terms of Governance USE-IT is overseen by a board of directors made up of members from a diverse range of backgrounds in the waste material recovery, business and environmental management backgrounds.
USE-IT also provides a number of specialised services including:
Research and Development
Project facilitation, advice and support
Pilot project funding and facilitation of funding and business plan development for larger projects
Information dissemination, education and awareness
Network facilitation with the public and private sector and international linkages
We leverage funds to create these opportunities for small community enterprises up to multi-million Rand development projects so there is a space for every company no matter what size.
Please list links to your Website and Social Media Platforms here:
Describe in detail what your Organisation does:
- USE IT WASTE BENEFICIATION (RF) NPC is a Durban based Section 21 Company that identifies waste beneficiation opportunities in the eThekwini Municipal area that will help to divert waste from landfill and create employment in the green economy as well as provide a number of specialised services.
How long has your Organisation been operational?
- 9 years
In your opinion, what has been the most challenging aspect of running your Organisation?
- Operational Funding has always been a limitation.
Describe your Nonprofit Journey in three words:
- maximize waste diversion
Do you collaborate with other Causes? If yes, would you like to mention them?
- Institute of Waste Management South Africa (IWMSA)
If you had one Organisation wish, what would it be?
- To maximize waste diversion from landfill into waste beneficiation projects that create a multiplier effect of positive benefits to the environment, the economy and the creation of jobs
In your opinion, which skills do Nonprofits in your Country lack?
- We are actively seeking a Financial Director to join our Board.
Looking back at your Cause Journey, what advice would you give a newbie Organisation?
- To make sure you remain visible and active on social media.
If you could change one thing about the Nonprofit Landscape, what would it be?
- More support from corporates for social investment.
Which Cause achievement are you most proud of? Feel free to elaborate on why and include any links
- USE-IT is leading the process of developing a waste beneficiation centre in Hammarsdale in the Outer West region of Durban. This extremely exciting project is a first for the African continent and we are proud to be a key part of this project. Funding for the centre has been secured from the Green Fund.
We aim to create a fully green building development, using our Compressed Earth Blocks as the main building material of the waste beneficiation centre. In addition, the roof will be made with recycled roof tiles. Other green elements planned for the project include full rain-water harvesting, storm-water collection systems, energy efficient hot water systems, LED lighting and off-grid, green power production using waste materials.
In the first phase, the centre will have offices, a meeting area, a training area and a retail area to showcase and sell the products to be manufactured at the site. It will also include 6-8 incubators to accommodate community-type projects in waste beneficiation, waste to art and up-cycling production areas. In addition, USE-IT compressed earth block making equipment will be relocating to the site.
The main processing areas will initially focus on plastics, e-waste and glass, and this will grow over time to create designated areas for each of these projects. We also aim to initiate composting facilities on the site, which we can then use to create organic farming applications on the lower portion of the site that will not only look to vegetable production and food security, but also to value-add applications such as traditional medicines and essential oils. All water harvested that is not used in the administrative section can be used in the lower portion of the site for composting and watering of organically grown products.
The aim of this site is not for USE-IT to undertake all the components, but rather to attract community and private-sector ventures into the area.
Last question, if your friends had to describe your Organisation in three words, which would they use?
- Credible, Transparent, Committed