We leverage funds to create these opportunities for small community enterprises up to multi-million Rand development projects so there is a space for every company no matter what size.
Please list links to your Website and Social Media Platforms here:
Describe in detail what your Organisation does:
- USE IT WASTE BENEFICIATION (RF) NPC is a Durban based Section 21 Company that identifies waste beneficiation opportunities in the eThekwini Municipal area that will help to divert waste from landfill and create employment in the green economy as well as provide a number of specialised services. USE-IT is an NGO that has; amongst others; developed a local green construction methodology that uses waste soils and construction rubble to create construction materials for building green, sustainable housing.USE-IT’s housing construction materials are more cost-effective than conventional building products, are water efficient, bullet and insect-proof, earthquake resistant, and thermally efficient. The NGO provides an opportunity and solution for waste diversion from landfill as well as addressing issues related to unemployment, lack of skills and housing backlogs.
SE-IT has been established as a non-profit organisation to research and develop waste beneficiation technologies with the aim of diverting waste from landfill and creating jobs in the green economy. Our primary funding and mandate is in the eThekwini area in association with the Economic Development Unit of the Municipality.
USE-IT is a special purpose vehicle, designed to act as a cluster for the waste materials recovery industry in eThekwini Municipality. In terms of Governance USE-IT is overseen by a board of directors made up of members from a diverse range of backgrounds in the waste material recovery, business and environmental management backgrounds.
USE-IT also provides a number of specialised services including:
1) Research and Development
2) Project facilitation, advice and support
3) Pilot project funding and facilitation of funding and business plan development for larger projects
4) Information dissemination, education and awareness
5) Network facilitation with the public and private sector and international linkages
6) Enterprise development
How long has your Organisation been operational?
- 9 years
In your opinion, what has been the most challenging aspect of running your Organisation?
- Funding and investment by Government and Corporates into our initiatives.
Describe your Nonprofit Journey in three words:
- Maximize waste diversion
Do you collaborate with other Causes? If yes, would you like to mention them?
- Institute of Waste Management South Africa
If you had one Organisation wish, what would it be?
- To maximize waste diversion from landfill into waste beneficiation projects that create a multiplier effect of positive benefits to the environment, the economy and the creation of jobs
In your opinion, which skills do Nonprofits in your Country lack?
- Project Management
Looking back at your Cause Journey, what advice would you give a newbie Organisation?
- Network, network, network.
If you could change one thing about the Nonprofit Landscape, what would it be?
- To much red tape around being registered on too many platforms.
Which Cause achievement are you most proud of? Feel free to elaborate on why and include any links
- HWBC – Hammarsdale Waste Beneficiation Centre
Last question, if your friends had to describe your Organisation in three words, which would they use?
- Credible, Transparent, Impressive